Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Sirens in the city

I will be filling in for someone in another office for five or six months beginning this summer. My new space will be in the middle of vice city. Within a two block radius of my new office there is a bikini bar (my usual haunt), an AMP (Asian Massage Parlor) and an adult book/video store.

Expand the radius a few more blocks there’s another bikini bar (reputed to be the sleaziest in town) two more AMPs and a notorious area for street walkers.

It’s not as down-and-out as it sounds. There are also theatres, libraries, colleges & universities, restaurants, hotels, bars and dance clubs, condos, and plenty of retail.

What a country!

I just worry about becoming too familiar a face in the area. My professional self should not be seen patronizing any of those pleasure sites. It wouldn’t do my career any good. In a way I’d rather be much more anonymous; on the other hand, being a ubiquitous presence downtown may make me blend in better.

To make matters more interesting, I have friends who work in several of those surrounding ‘legitimate’ buildings. In fact one works overlooking one end of the side street my favorite club is on and another works near the other end of the street. I will just have to work on my disguises I guess.

Lead us not into temptation…

5 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger Lauren said...

for thine is the kingdom... i wish everyone could be a bit less worried about their sexual proclivities. alas, sometimes the secret makes it more inviting. .... it's spring time again and i'm ready to take duane for a ride around the town.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger noman said...

lo - i do worry, hence the secret life. i will feel a little more comfortable this week when i visit a midwestern city I've never been to, where no one knows me, and sample the strip clubs there. an internet search reveals about 5-6 clubs within a five block radius of my hotel. i just have to worry about my colleagues who are attending the same conference.

i hope poor duane hasn't spent another winter outdoors.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger John Psmyth said...

Thanks for the link!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger noman said...

You're welcome, John - I enjoy the stories on your site.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about kidney disorder. I also have a site about kidney disorder which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home